RE: _Aerosteon riocoloradensis_ takes a breath

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of MKIRKALDY@aol.com
>
> News release:
> http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-09/uoc-nmd092908.php
>
> http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE48S8ZO20080929
> "The team named the dinosaur Aerosteon riocoloradensis,
> meaning "air bones from the Rio Colorado," because its bones
> have pockets and a sponge-like texture  called
> "pneumatization" in which air sacs from the lung invade the bone."
> The art is by Todd Marshall.
>
> Mary

This is a paper I've been waiting for for a while. Various incarnations have
existed for the last five or so years. Aerosteon actually is featured in my
kid's encyclopedia (the unnamed carcharodontosaurid referred to on p. 104).
According to the latest version, they no longer consider it a
carcharodontosaurid but an honest-to-goodness allosaurid. This critter was
first referenced back 10 years ago in an Alcober et al. abstract for SVP.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/