RE: Kickboxing Cassowary

Quoting "Richard W. Travsky" <rtravsky@uwyo.edu>:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Chris Glen wrote:
> > Looks to me like a bug has just flown into it's ear and it doesn't like
> it,
> > and blames the nearest.... tree.
>
> It looks like some neurological impairment. Is this "normal" behavior
> for a cassowary?

I haven't seen the footage in question (but will comment regardless!). Young
cassowaries will practice
their kicking attacks at any opportunity. I've seen footage of a very young
cassowary chick that was
hand raised. It's human carer was taking it for it's daily walk to a nearby
pond. As soon as they got
there, the first thing the chick did was run up to one of the resident ducks
and start
practicing 'cassoeira' (which is like capoeira for cassowaries). There were
some quite spectacular
airborne double-kicks involved (and one very outraged duck).

Could the cassowary mentioned above have been a sub-adult perhaps? If chicks
are born with innate
kick-boxing instincts, then I'd hate to think what a moody teenage cassowary is
like.

Dann Pigdon