RE: Stegosaurus with protofeathers? Absolutely!

Waylon,

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the on-line advance publication of a most
important paper today.

The paper, to be published tomorrow in the journal, _Nature_, describes a
remarkably well-preserved basal thyreophoran from the early Cretaceous
(Barremian) lowest Yixian deposits of Liaoning, China.  According to the
authors, the specimen's unique suite of features characterizes the animal as
the most "primitive" ankylosaurid discovered, an apparent nodosaurid most
closely related to _Liaoningosaurus_ (also from the Yixian Formation).

Unlike _Liaoningosaurus_, however, the new specimen appears to be a mature
individual, and possesses not only large osteoderms over 75% of the body,
including an arrangement of lateral spikes, but also branching filamentous
integumentary structures interspersed between the osteoderms, which closely
resemble the feathers of extant paleognathid birds.  These integumentary
features range in length from 2.5 cm on the neck and head to 60 cm on the
rump.  This is remarkable given the estimated body length of only 2.3
meters.  The "fluffy" armored dinosaur is named _Ramalamadingdongosaurus
burlesqui_.

Hap-Pi, Ei-pi, and Fu, Z. (2009). "A fluffy ankylosaur from China". Nature
Volume 458, Number 7237, pp. 297-300.

Is it a coincidence that the report comes out on April Fool's Day?  I think
not!

Dino Guy Ralph
Dinosaur and Fossil Education
Member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology