Re: Stegosaurus with protofeathers? Absolutely!

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:53 PM, T. Michael Keesey <keesey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to check -- you are aware what today is, right?

Dunno. Protofeather finding day?

BTW:

The pyrophysiology and sexuality of dragons

Abstract

To examine the means whereby dragons produce fire and steam, we have
studied a related species, the desert-lizard Lacerta pyrophorus.
Morphological studies showed that there were in the snout three
distinctive features: (1) a dorsal swelling in the pharynx, the Organ
of Feuerwerk, consisting of brown adipose tissue with an extensive
sympathetic innervation; (2) greatly enlarged lachrymonasal ducts, the
Ducts of Kwentsch; and (3) asbestos deposits in the nasal skin, the
Bestos Bodies. Physiological studies show that the Organ of Feuerwerk
can, when the animal is excited, produce extremely high temperatures.
We discuss how these mechanisms can produce steam and fire, and how
the snout is protected. We also discuss and offer a solution to the
problem of how, since dragons are invariably male, the species can be
propagated.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1569-9048(02)00129-5

[]s,

Roberto Takata