From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu on behalf of David Marjanovic
Sent: Thu 09.04.2009 10:46
To: DML
Subject: Re: Dinosaurs Phylogenetic Tree for Matlab.

So, Dora. It's time for you to listen up and learn a few basics.

> Very lovely.   Someone quite got carried away with their crayons.   But
> not the same skill with words.   They didn't say where they got all that
> dinosaur DNA to draw such a lovely and complex phylogenetic tree!
>
> Denver, sound out the word, very slowly.   phylogenetic.   Not just a
> dinosaur family tree, but based on genetics.  .

1) The argument from etymology is a logical fallacy.
2) You got the etymology wrong anyway.
3) You didn't even stop to consider who you're talking to. Most of the
active list members are PhD students who actually work on dinosaurs, often
on their phylogeny. Others are professional scientists, including full
professors like Tom Holtz. Think about it: you basically said that all of us
don't understand our very own field, while you, a random stranger on the
Internet, can teach us all. Isn't that stupid of you?

> all phylogenetic studies of both birds and humans are actual studies of
> genetic relationships

LOL! What nonsense!

Again: the argument from ignorance is a logical fallacy.

Ignorance alone is fine. Insisting that one's ignorance is actually
knowledge is the root of most evil.

> I should think that phylogenetic studies of dinosaurs
> would be studies of dinosaur genetics.

Wrong. That would be "genetic studies of dinosaurs", not "phylogenetic"
ones.

> But maybe I'm the only one of the three of us who could have read
> phylogenetic studies of birds and humans.

ROTFL. So you think we never crack open a journal when we're already in the
university library or click on a link when we're already on the website of a
journal?

> 19th century Latin

Greek. (But you're in very good company with confusing Latin and Greek.)

==================================

David Marjanovic
PhD student of paleobiology
UMR CNRS 7207 "Centre de Recherches sur la
Paléobiodiversité et les Paléoenvironnements"
Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle
Département Histoire de la Terre
Bâtiment de Géologie
Case Postale 48