Re: OT cats & hummingbirds, dinosaur books

Quoting Lora Nelson <loranelson@yahoo.com>:

> I was wondering if anybody could tell me if hummingbirds have been known to
> kill a cat with driving their beaks through the skull and into the brain.

This sounds highly unlikely. Perhaps woodpeckers have the necessary equipment
to drive a beak
through a skull, but somehow I doubt that hummingbirds would have evolved such
cranial strength
just to feed on nectar.

I also doubt that hummingbirds have enough mass, or hindleg gripping power, to
achieve skull
penetration. More likely any attempt would see the hummingbird bounce off the
cat's head.

Birds such as starlings certainly can penetrate each other's brains during
fights, but using their foot
claws rather than their beaks, and usually via each other's eye sockets. I
suspect starling brain
cases are also a lot thinner than that of a cat. It's not unusual to find a
pair of dead starlings locked
together, each having penetrated the other's brain.

Dann Pigdon