Re: Did dinosaur wings evolve for breeding display?

Roberto Takata wrote:
More properly: intraspecific competition leads (or could lead) to
natural selection.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM, John Conway <john.a.conway@gmail.com> wrote:
... and decent with modification, surely? I don't understand your distinction here.

A -> B -> C

Does not make:

A = B = C.

There is a lot of confusion made when we do not pay attention to the
difference. For example: balancing selection, in general, do not leads
to evolution; genetic drift or mutation pressure could overcome
negative selecion. Someone that regards selecions as the same thing as
evolution could think that evolution is refuted by the two examples
above (and you know some group of people that could use this mistake
in a mischievous way).

Note the "(or could lead to)" in your original sentence. All I was pointing out is that natural selection, within a species, _could lead to_ decent with modification.

However, I see what you were getting at more clearly. You were saying
that intraspecific competition is not in itself evolution--fair point.
But you'd agree it could lead to it without interspecific competition, no?

Cheers,
John

--
Palaeontography: http://palaeo.jconway.co.uk