RE: Did dinosaur wings evolve for breeding display?

Jaime is dead right.  There is no concrete evidence that the dorsal appendages
of _Longisquama_ were paired, or even mobile.  Sharov (1970) followed by others
(e.g., Haubold and Buffetaut, 1987) reconstructed _Longisquama_ as a gliding
reptile.  They suggested that these appendages could act as continuous gliding
surface when spread, and could be folded over the back, in butterfly-like
fashion, when not in use.

Voigt et al. (2008) explicitly reject Sharov's interpretation, and claim that:
(1) there is no evidence for more than one row of appendages in the
_Longisquama_ type specimen; and (2) even assuming that the appendages were
paired, they would have performed poorly as airfoil-generating devices.  Voigt
et al. also reject the hypothesis that the _Longisquama_ appendages were
homologous to feathers.

Cheers

Tim