Re: Did dinosaur wings evolve for breeding display?/Longisquama

What's not clear?

IMHO, if the association of 'fronds' to skeleton were anything but genuine, the 'roots' of the fronds would appear to be detached or run through or go beyond the corpus. In this case, the association between the bottom-most portion of the dorsal frill and top of the vertebral column is spot on.

Coincidence??? I think not.

Unique? Probably not. Think Iguana. Sphenodon. Sometimes they are shed, along with the rest of the skin.

Reisz and Sues were speculative? I think not. It was a good paper. Voight et al. amplified those findings. That's always good.

The wings of Longisquama, are the forelimbs, of course. As I wrote in 2002, Longisquama has the same sort of pectoral complex as we see in pterosaurs. Fused interclavicle, overlapping clavicles rimming the sternum. Precursor condition in Cosesaurus. These things were flapping from the get-go all to get food, create a little excitement in the bedroom, or to startle strangers.

I hear Longisquama is being redescribed by a number of workers. Something to look forward to.

David Peters