From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu on behalf of Mike Taylor
Sent: Thu 30.04.2009 10:20
To: tholtz@umd.edu
Cc: 'DML'
Subject: Congratulations, DOCTOR Mike Taylor

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. writes:
 > http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2009/04/welcome_dr_m_p_taylor.php#more

Thanks, Tom!

I mentioned the DML, and Tom in particularly, in the acknowledgements
of my dissertation; I reproduce the relevant section here for your
encouragement:

        That I was able to approach Dave [Martill, my supervisor] with
        even the little knowledge I did have is largely due to the
        education-by-stealth that I received from members of the
        Internet's Dinosaur Mailing List
        (http://dinosaurmailinglist.org <http://dinosaurmailinglist.org/> ) --
most notably Tom Holtz,
        who has a rare gift for explaining complex concepts simply and
        briefly.  I thank Mickey Rowe and Mary Kirkaldy for running
        the list so efficiently and providing a forum that has been so
        valuable to me.

It's true -- I would never has done this without the DML.

<http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/>
)_v__/\  "The notion of a ``record'' is an obsolete remnant of the days
         of the 80-column card" -- Dennis M. Ritchie.