Re: New paper: Theropod forelimb evolution & Archie is not a "Rosetta stone"

Quoting Andreas Johansson <andreasj@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Roger Close <roger.close@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "Patristic" strikes me as a very poor term for something in
> > evolutionary biology. All the top hits I can find on Google are either
> > for this very paper, or for Christian/creationist sites.
>
> Patristics is a long-established term for the study of the Church
> Fathers (early but post-Biblical Christian writers). Using the word
> for something in biology strikes me as simply perverse.

Many of the earliest naturalists were priests.

Often they were men from well-to-do families who had a lot of spare time on
their hands (perhaps
having entered the priesthood for political reasons or as a way of avoiding
hard work, rather than
due to any specific 'calling'), but they were priests none-the-less.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist              http://dannsdinosaurs.dyn-o-saur.com