Re: Proteins from hadrosaur

Thanks for the link. The genomeweb gives a good description of the genomics.
It's definitely neat stuff.

I wrote a short general article for New Scientist that I wish I had been able
to expand further, but which does include a description of Mary Schweitzer's
work.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17060-first-dino-blood-extracted-from-ancient-bone.html

What got lost from this version is comments from outside critics who generally
think this is a major step forward, but doesn't satisfy all their questions.
It's safe to say that you need exceptionally well-preserved fossils to find
this stuff, but it's not clear how rare they are. It does look like
preservation in sandstone very quickly after death is a big help.

The Science paper is good, and I also recommend Robert Service's news story in
Science http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/324/5927/578?, if you have
access to the journal.

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer