Re: looking for illustration

2009/8/1 B tH <soylentgreenistrex@yahoo.com>:
> Arambourginiana philadelphidae - material too scrappy to draw a conclusive
> picture?

I'll say.  The holotype is a single incomplete cervical vertebra.  For
a long time, even that was lost and there was only a plaster cast.
Then the holotype was found, but the middle section (of what was,
remember, already an incomplete element) was broken off and remains
lost.

Not that that stopped me estimating the length of its neck in my
dissertation ...

"The azhdarchid Arambourgiana philadelphiae (Arambourg 1959) is the
largest pterosaur for which cervical material is known. Its type
specimen, UJF VF1, a single near-complete cervical vertebra, has been
damaged and is missing its central portion, but plaster replicas made
before the damage indicate the extent of the missing portion. The
preserved part of the vertebra was 620 mm long before the damage, and
when complete it would have been about 780 mm long (Martill et al.
1998: p. 72). Assuming that the preserved element is C5, as considered
likely by Howse (1986: p. 318) and Frey and Martill (1996: p. 240),
the length of the whole neck can be estimated as 3.85 times that
length, which is 3.0 m."

(The estimate of full neck length as 3.85 times that of C5 is based on
measurements of the azhdarchid Zhejiangopterus, which seems to be the
only azhdarchid for which complete necks are known.)