RE: Avian origin questioned by John Ruben

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of mkivi@cc.joensuu.fi
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090609092055.htm
>
> The link above was actually sent to me by a creotard - I mean
> creationist who thought this single piece of paper is a proof
> agains evolution.
>
> A plaoentologist (known as AronRa in youtube) "friend" of
> mine commented on the article:
>
> "Every article trying to deny the ancestry of aves within
> theropoda are written by John Ruben. In the 1990s, Ruben
> formed an organization called B.A.N.D. (Birds Are Not
> Dinosaurs) for the purpose of denying the already mounting
> evidence to the contrary. Don't ask me why. It never made
> sense. At this point, his argument is already lost. Birds
> definitely ARE dinosaurs, but Ruben is determined never to
> admit that."
>
> Any thoughts?
> I'd mostly like to know about the credentials of this, Ruben
> character as well as any possible new discoveries on the
> behalf of theropoda/aves connection. The newest udate I have
> so far is Epidexipteryx hui - the protofeathered dinosaur
> that predates Archaeopteryx sp.

Whoo... Where to start?

Ruben is a long-time critic of the dinosaurian origin of birds. There is no
formal organization B.A.N.D. (unless making buttons formalizes
organizations!) Nor is he the only opponent of the dinosaurian origin of
birds: Alan Feduccia, Larry Martin, and others are "BANDits".

The suggestions of the "BANDits" have not convinced paleontologists that
birds are not deeply nested among maniraptoran coelurosaurian theropod
dinosaurs.

John Ruben has published a fair amount of work on the physiology of fossil
organisms.

You can search the DML archives (http://dml.cmnh.org) and search "Ruben" to
get a substantial number of hits.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.