Re: Avian origin questioned by John Ruben

Noone else seems to have mentioned this: A great and detailed takedown
of this paper can be found (where else) on the greatest blog ever
created (TetZoo, what else, and no, I don't get paid for advertising,
this honestly is by far the best blog ever)

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2009/07/birds_cannot_be_dinosaurs.php

Martin.

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009, mkivi@cc.joensuu.fi wrote:

> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090609092055.htm
>
> The link above was actually sent to me by a creotard - I mean creationist who
> thought this single piece of paper is a proof agains evolution.
>
> A plaoentologist (known as AronRa in youtube) "friend" of mine commented on
> the article:
>
> "Every article trying to deny the ancestry of aves within theropoda are
> written by John Ruben. In the 1990s, Ruben formed an organization called
> B.A.N.D. (Birds Are Not Dinosaurs) for the purpose of denying the already
> mounting evidence to the contrary. Don't ask me why. It never made sense. At
> this point, his argument is already lost. Birds definitely ARE dinosaurs, but
> Ruben is determined never to admit that."
>
> Any thoughts?
> I'd mostly like to know about the credentials of this, Ruben character as well
> as any possible new discoveries on the behalf of theropoda/aves connection.
> The newest udate I have so far is Epidexipteryx hui - the protofeathered
> dinosaur that predates Archaeopteryx sp.

                   Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin BÃker
                   Institut fÃr Werkstoffe
                   Technische UniversitÃt Braunschweig
                   Langer Kamp 8