RE: Better Book Bargains?

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Raptorial Talon
>
> > I wouldn't classify Prof. Holtz's book as "for kids" -
> children would no doubt love the pictures but the text?  12
> yr old minimum, in my opinion.
>
> Hey, that's just how the Amazon promotional materials pitch
> it. Really explicitly so, in fact, albeit with much praise
> for something with such breadth and scope for a "kids'" book.
> I've glanced through it before and didn't think of it as
> primarily children's literature, but who am I to judge intent?

Well, to be fair it is published under the Random House Children's Book
label... Also, it is written at a level (with the aid of my editor Alice
Jonaitis) that matches 9-12 years old in terms of the length and complexity
of sentence structure. (Really, there is a whole field of study about what
type of sentence matches which age group). And at least some of the Amazon
reviews suggest younger readers appreciate it.

That said, the material should be useful to all ages (or so I hope!)

> Anyway, it's so criminally cheap I think I'll get it regardless. ; )

Please do!!

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216