Re: Better Book Bargains?

Well, it's obvious he made every effort to cover the "all ages," and
perhaps 20+ years ago I'd have more faith in middle-school kids 'grasping' the text - but I have to go by what I see in the public school system today, and the state of education has fallen so much from learning to crowd-control ... a special 'advanced' class for younger kids could probably tackle chunks of it. Sorry to be pessimistic but this country is in trouble, education-wise.<<<

Sorry, you ARE being pessimistic and NOT realistic:

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/15/c9/a4.pdf

There is no statistical evidence to substantiated that reading level or comprehension has dropped in our public schools. That's not to say that there aren't problems that need to be addressed (many of them involving funding) but qualitative generalizations like yours usually reflect objections to larger sociopolitical issues rather than any actual data on how well our kids read (or do math, or even...gasp...science).

Now, our adults on the other hand, are indeed performing worse in terms of both reading level and science understanding, but that's a different issue. And so I end with two quotes worth reflecting on:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

(Attributed to Socrates in Plato's Republic Book 4)

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint"

(Hesiod, 8th century BC).

Scott Hartman
Science Director
Wyoming Dinosaur Center