To: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Cc: "DML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: What faunas/formations were at the KT

David Marjanovic wrote:
 We all know about Hell Creek, but what other faunas or formations
 have been described at the time of the KT event?

Terrestrial ones? Not many. Some intertrappean bed or other somewhere in
India; however the formation in the Nanxiong Basin in southern China is
called; and to the north of the Hell Creek, there's the Lance and the
Scollard, AFAIK. That pretty much is it so far.

The Frenchman Formation of Saskatchewan also extends up and through the
K/Pg. Note that at any given spot in the American West the boundary might
be within the Hell Creek or slightly above.

I do not believe a South American terrestrial latest Maastrichtian fauna
yet identified. In Europe some (in France and in Transylvania) get close
but not up to the end. David mentions the Nanxiong and the Intertrappean
Beds of western India it may be that a K/Pg boundary layer could be found
in the Amur Valley but at present I don't think it has been found. New
Zealand has boundary terrestrial deposits, but only (s)crappy dinosaurian
fossils (great plants, though). There are boundary deposits in Antarctica,
but again no dinosaurian fauna that can be really characterized. I don't
know if there are late Maastrichtian dinosaurs yet known from Africa or
Australia. The dinosaurian-bearing units of Madagascar don't get quite
that young.

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

Mailing Address: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Department of Geology
Building 237, Room 1117
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742 USA

Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.
Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
Versione: 8.5.375 / Database dei virus: 270.13.48/2291 - Data di rilascio: 08/08/09 18:17:00