RE: T.rex was a "chicken"

We assume that carnivores are in fact biting herbivores; this is a given. Bite
marks on other bones show this to be the case (as in *Sinraptor* agonistic
behavior, a *Triceratops* ilium and sacrum with tooth gouges and holes, etc.
What we do not assume here is the particularly intentional habit of taking
whole, defleshed bone and processing it orally for the purpose of doing so,
which is done by some animals like hyenas and vultures, and some jackals at
least. These animals have oral anatomy or behaviors that are specialized to
processing the bone or by processing what it within them (like marrow). Hyenas
are marrow-eaters, but they aren't particularly delicate about it, and simply
crack the bones in their jaws and swallow portions thereof. Few animals are
primarily or even obligate osteophages, including deep-sea carcass scavengers
like hagfish. When it does occur, it is ordinarily a nutritional issue, and
most bone-processing occurs to aquire marrow, not bone.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

disinclination to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

Backs)

> Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:39:49 -0600
> From: wdm1949@hotmail.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: FW: T.rex was a "chicken"

> I would like to direct you to a fascinating specimen of a sauropod pelvis
> that I examined back in the lab
> of the late J. Jensen in the Fall of 1978. The iliac blade had an enormous
> "bite" chomped out of it by what
>
> Jensen described was from the assault of a large "megalosaur", in particular,
> Torvosaurus tanneri whose
>
> dental battery most closely matched the inflicted wound. What was also
> noteworthy were the scrape marks
>
> along the iliac blade leading up to the edge of the wound. This "bite" seemed
> quite deliberate. The pelvis was
>
> taken from the Morisson.
>

>> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:10:27 +1000
>> From: dannj@alphalink.com.au
>> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
>> Subject: Re: T.rex was a "chicken"
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 9th, 2009 at 6:28 AM, B tH  wrote:
>>
>>> That news article seems to be at odds with the
>>> post from the other day about the paper stating bone was NOT in the diet
>>> ... ?
>>
>> I believe that paper dealt with *deliberate* bone consumption, rather than
>> incidental consumption.
>>
>> Swallowing small bones whole (along with the flesh) requires nothing but
>> chemical processing in
>> the gut. Grinding up or splintering large bones (usually without any
>> accompanying flesh) requires a
>> whole suite of dental equipment that the vast majority of dinosaurs lacked.
>> It seems that gnawing
>> on bones is a very mammalian thing to do.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dann Pigdon
>> GIS / Archaeologist Australian Dinosaurs
>> Melbourne, Australia http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dannj

> More storage. Better anti-spam and antivirus protection. Hotmail makes it
> simple.
> http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9671357

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=PID23384::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:NF_BR_sync:082009