Re: Phorusrhacids killing large mammals in National Geographic Channel

> In the case of anything fossilized, it is very, very, very hard to avoid
> theorizing in advance of the data, which is something we shouldn't do.

Not in published papers, anyway. :P

> I'd also like to note that extant or recent high-predator-diversity
> ecosystems have two things in common; multiple sizes of diverse large
> herbivores, and at least some of the herbivores are migratory
> herbivores.  This tends to suggest that unless both those conditions are
> absent, we shouldn't be looking for predator/predator competition as an
> extinction mechanism.

I did not know that about predator diversity. Very interesting . . .
'course, I for one can't be sure how that would intersect with mass
interchanges and the resultant ecological restructuring.

Are *any* large mammals in South America migratory to any degree? I
certainly can't think of any that are. And now I'm wondering about the
Indian region, too . . . I don't know what's migratory there, or if it
can properly be considered a high-diversity locale for predators
(tigers, leopards, wolves, dholes, bears, hyenas - seems that way, I
guess). I'd sure like to find out, though.