Re: Pterosaur landing track

While I agree that the trackway should see more work, like Kevin I find it more convincing as a landing trackway than as swimming prints. This might be a good place to mention that while pterosaurs land using the same mechanisms as birds, neither are doing a conventional steady-state 'stall'. It would appear that both use the same unsteady process called 'full alternating momentum reversal', which creates a flow more similar to that of the 'fast start' mechanism in fish than to a stall.
JimC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Unwin, Dr D.M." <dmu1@leicester.ac.uk>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:50 AM
Subject: Pterosaur landing track

The pterosaur landing track paper is:

First record of a pterosaur landing trackway

Jean-Michel Mazin, Jean-Paul Billon-Bruyat and Kevin Padian

Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B.

doi:10.1098/rspb.2009.1161

Not sure if it is actually 'visible' yet. Anyway, when it is, I should point out that while it would be a great find if it truly is a landing trackway, it is also possible that it is a swim track and more work will be needed to resolve this one way or the other.

Party Pooper Dave