Re: Size of Tanystropheus

Since one of my Hairy Museum posts was referenced in the Wikipedia article, I figured I'd do a little digging to find out where the figure I was using came from. I probably pulled the six-meter figure from elsewhere on the internet (I'd assume (hope?) the now defunct University of Milano page), but a little research comes up with the figure in the following reference:

Tschanz, K. 1988. "Allometry and heterochrony in the growth of the neck of Triassic prolacertiform reptiles," Palaeontology 31: 4 pp. 997-1011

p. 1007-8: "T[anystropheus] longobardicus can grow to up to 6 m in length, while M[acrocnemus] bassanii does not exceed a length of 1 m...Decelerated growth indicates that the neck of Tanystropheus had reached an adaptive limit. Half of the total body length of a 4.5 m long animal was taken up by its neck."

The longest specimen measured in a cursory glance at the paper is T2818 at the Paläontologisches Institut und Museum der Unversität Zürich, with an approximate neck length of 2112.0 mm.

The article can be downloaded here:
http://palaeontology.palass-pubs.org/pdf/Vol%2031/Pages%20997-1011.pdf

Hope this helps -
-Matt Celeskey