Re: Speaking of marsupial carnivores...

On Thu, Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:05 AM, B tH <soylentgreenistrex@yahoo.com> wrote:

> One question - apparently, 200 lbs is considered a heavyweight predator?  I'm
> 200 lbs, and I
> don't consider meself all that intimidating.  :-)

That's at least twice the weight of a large timber wolf, more than the average
leopard, and about
right for the average female Sumatran tiger. I wouldn't want to be locked in a
room with angry
specimens of any of those.

As far as Holocene predators go, 90kg is reasonably impressive. It's quite
pathetic by the
standards of earlier time periods though. For marsupial carnivores
specifically, it's positively huge
no matter what the time period. Thylacines were lucky to reach 35kg for the
largest males, with
Tasmanian devils (the next largest in modern times) a mere 6kg.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs