Re: Allometric equations for predicting body mass in dinosaurs

Thanks for the info, Mike, I really appreciate it. So did Rapetosaurus add
another cervical, or did it convert a dorsal vertebrae? or both? or will that
be explained in the monograph?

On another note, Greg Paul replied to me offlist and said that he thought the
estimation for "Brachiosaurus" brancai at 18 tonnes was too low (although he
didn't give a personal estimation) but estimated 50-60 tonnes for the largest
South American titanosaurs using the Futalognkosaurus presacral series.
(Although I think it was either you or Matt Wedel on SV-POW! who said that the
measurents are uncertain for Futalognkosaurus, as the lenghts in the paper
don't match up with the scale bars in the photos. I went to the website link to
get the paper pdf, but the link was dead, so I am not sure if they give lengths
for all (or any) of the vertebrae...outside of the notoriously unreliable scale
bars in the photos!). Your estimation of 23 tonnes seems more reasonable,
although it still seems too low to me.

Another question, are the legs and arms of titanosaurs similar to brachiosaurs
(in that they would give misleading calculations for weight using the equation
in the paper)? What is currently the best weight estimate for Argentinosaurus?
The lowest estimate I found was 73 tonnes, and after hearing about the paper, I
reduced my estimate to 44 tonnes. Using Argentinosaurus as a model, my estimate
for Puertasaurus (58 tonnes) was in Paul's range, but like you said there are
several caveats to that estimation...after looking at the paper on
Puertasaurus, I wonder if they mis-identified the dorsal as D2, and it was
actually D1. The only reason I wonder is that the D2? of Puertasaurus is  42 cm
in length, judging from the photograph (they don't give a length for it in the
paper! gah! so, obviously using  the scale bar is quite uncertain, which I used
to estimate the length of the D2?), and the D2? in Argentinosaurus is 47 cm in
length, according to its paper.
 If that's true, then Argentinosaurus may have been  longer in the torso than
Puertasaurus (my estimation was 6.83 m for Argentinosaurus dorsal column and
6.1 m for Puertasaurus dorsal column). Another interesting thing is that,
judging from the figures again (and we know how unreliable that is!), the C9 in
Malawisaurus (from a published skeletal on the internet with a scale bar) is
2.34 times the length of its D2, but in Puertasaurus, if the D2? is indeed a
D2,  then the C9 of Puertasaurus is 2.8 times the length of its D2. So I am now
really confused....*sigh*

Thanks again,

Zach