RE: The future of dinosaur discoveries

On Mon, Aug 31st, 2009 at 2:47 PM, B tH <soylentgreenistrex@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A town of 200 is getting a museum?

 'Second Dinosaur Museum Mooted for Outback Queensland'
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/31/2671311.htm?site=news

So-called 'field museums' make far more sense, providing storage, preparation
and display
facilities close to where the fossils are found, rather than having to
transport them long distances
to large cities like Brisbane or Townsville (or, in the case of Kronosaurus,
the United States). They
also draw tourists to the fossil areas themselves, so you can be sure that
those tourist dollars
actually end up funding local research.

I see no-one has made much of a fuss about 'Zac' the new Queensland sauropod. I
suppose
Queensland sauropod finds have become too common these days to elicite much
excitement.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs