Re: visible geologic noxious gas

I am unaware of any "visible" gas that is emitted from volcanos, either in
active eruption or active but dormant, OTHER than plain ol' water vapor.

However, the water vapor contains a plethora of dissolved gasses, ranging from
sulfuric acid, hydrogen sulfide, nitrous oxide, nitric acid, hydrochloric acid,
carbonic acid, hydrofluoric acid, phosphoric acid and probably some other other
solutions that I presently can't think of.

The above is for "wet" eruptions (AKA, Mount Saint Helens-style eruptions).
There are also "dry" eruptions, such as Mauna Kea, that produce very little
water vapor, but a butt-load of sulfur gasses and other nasties.

So, if you want to be scientifically accurate, make it a water vapor cloud,
with mixed-in noxious gasses (take your pick from the above choices).

And, for a chuckle, you might also try Googling "Oracle of Delphi" and "gasses".

<pb>