Re: Idea for an "Open Dinosaur Project"-like Wikimedia Project

At 9:23 AM -0800 12/3/09, Saint Abyssal wrote:
>I have an idea for a new Wikimedia Foundation project that would serve as
>a free reference work *for researchers*. This concept would apply the wiki
>architecture to the task of organizing data, references, images, and other
>data useful for the professional researcher.

This sounds similar in spirit to the Paleobiology Database
(http://www.paleodb.org). The PBDB is more oriented to repositing locality
data and references, rather than pictures or character matrices, but I
believe the structure already exists to store other kinds of information.

The PBDB has had a great effect on paleo research, particularly in invert
paleo. In less than a decade, there have already been more than 100 papers
published using PBDB data. For example, see the article on mass extinctions
in the open ocean vs epicontinental seas by Miller and Foote in last week's
Science:

        http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/326/5956/1106 .

Cheers,

Steve

Steve C. Wang
Blauistein Visiting Associate Professor of Geological Sciences
   Stanford University
Associate Professor of Statistics
   Swarthmore College
http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/swang1