Re: Discovery tonight ... 8 pm

On Dec 8, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Michael Erickson wrote:

One thing that I absolutely _must_ make clear is that I do not, in any way, shape, or form, agree with how that senquence on the show depicted the proposed kinesis working. The way that they protrayed the lower jaw literally becoming "unhinged" from the quadrate was totally wrong, no arguments here.

Ah, gotcha - sorry to jump to conclusions. It does highlight a common misconception, though, and there are many individuals who envision snakes working that way, as well. Happy you are not among them (didn't really think you were), but it still stands as something that anyone talking about cranial kinesis to the public and/or press may want to help clarify. I try not to let interviewers get away with the old "unhinging" or "dislocating" the jaw comments these days.

Cheers,

--Mike H.