RE: Triceratops vsTyrannosaurus ??

--- On Sat, 12/12/09, Jaime Headden <qi_leong@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Pardon me, but didn't *Giganotosaurus* supposedly take on
> super-elephant-sized sauropod dinosaurs? It lacks the
> cranial crushing equipment, but looks more like a repurposed
> *Allosaurus* and was maximized (seemingly) to cranial +
> manual prey-engagement.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jaime A. Headden

The best defense when your neck is 10m long and really skinny is to be tall
enough to keep it out of the reach of carnivores equipped w/ jaws large enough
to engulf it. Prey tonnage follows tallness as a matter of structural
necessity, but would not necessarily affect predator equipment per se, that
being determined by the dimensions of the supremely vulnerable neck.

The theropod's perspective on the question of "trikes or sauropods for lunch?"
can be easily appreciated; just stick a finger between your back teeth and bite
down. Really easy to crunch that skinny thing, isn't it? Now try to bite your
fist, preferably while wearing spiked brass knuckles...

One can speculate that the trike in question was defending young, and that the
hypothetical young was the primary target, but it is still not surprising that
T rex was built more strongly than theropods assumed to have hunted sauropods,
even very large species.