Re: Hopping Hadrosaurs

On Mon, Dec 14th, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Justin Tweet <thescelosaurus@juno.com>
wrote:

> Chalk up one for overenthusiastic reporting:
>
> The article about hadrosaur locomotion is in the most recent Palaeontologia
> Electronica.  The
> authors acknowledge they got the greatest speeds from hopping, but consider
> it an unlikely mode
> of locomotion and more likely something that's not being properly accounted
> for in the model.
>
> Sellers, W. I.; Manning, P. L.; Lyson, T.; Stevens, K.; and Margetts, L.
> (2009). "Virtual
> palaeontology: gait reconstruction of extinct vertebrates using high
> performance computing".
> Palaeontologia Electronica 12 (3):article 13a.
> http://palaeo-electronica.org/2009_3/180/index.html

That makes a lot more sense.

It's obvious from the movies available that it's a very basic simulator -
there's a real 'Thunderbirds'
feel to them. The bipedal run (only the hi-res movie seems to work) looks as if
the animal falls
onto it's face at the end.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs