Re: Matt Wedel on the perils of doing documentaries

So has anyone seen good paleo programs? I recall one, "The Dwarf Mammoths of the Wrangell Islands" on NOVA.

Dan

Thomas R. Lipka wrote:
Did anyone catch the other travesty of dinosaur programs on the History
Channel last week called "What really killed the dinosaurs?"

Without going in to too much detail a person who was involved with that show
likewise related to me that "they" were not happy with how things were done
ASIDE from the fact that the producers seemed hell bent to push the
Bakker-Poinar view of an epidemic- extinction theory. Which I don't buy, by
the way.

Things will never change. Paleontology needs public exposure and the media
wonks want to make a fast buck and are wedded to an almost congenital need
to hype anything up and/or water it down to make it more fuzzy-cuddly to the
intended audience. Seems to me they are being rather presumptuous and
condescending to both groups?

Tom

Thomas R. Lipka
 Principal Investigator:
 Arundel Project & Geobiological Research Westminster, Md. USA

 http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2004NE/finalprogram/abstract_69850.htm

 http://www.glue.umd.edu/~gdouglas/lipka/theropod.html

 http://www.glue.umd.edu/~gdouglas/neoceratopsian/index.html