Re: why isn't Tethyshadros insularis just a juvenile?

Thom,

Acronym for "External Fundamental System": the closely-packed lines of
arrested growth on the outer surface of a bone indicating that the rapid
phase of growth is over and the dinosaur (or other animal) has reached full
adult size.

Thank you, I know what the "External Fundamental System" is :)
Just I don't like the use of acronyms when one has all the space to write the whole names avoiding ambiguities. I am sure that you know, but probably some DML members do not: the EFS could partly or totally lack when the bone you are investigating has a scraped surface because of preparation, erosion or even a not careful excavation.

Incidentally, various histological researchers are developing sampling
techniques that minimize the requirement for damage to a fossil. Sarah
Werning and Andrew Lee presented on this at the North American
Paleontological Convention this summer, and some German researchers are also
working on coring techniques to help extract a cylinder of bone without
leaving a big slice in the specimen.

I know. Martin Sanders and his team are working this way, and I am going to do the same outside Italy. This solves the technical problems, not the others.

Cheers
Fabio
Fabio M. Dalla Vecchia
Àrea de recerca del Mesozoic
Institut Català de Paleontologia (ICP)
Edifici ICP
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
E-08193 Cerdanyola del Vallès
Barcelona
SPAIN

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@umd.edu>
> Regardless, in an alleged dwarf taxon, histological
sectioning of limb
> bones would be the most reliable way to demonstrate
maturity at small
> body size. Chop a limb, any limb, and find an EFS.

I answered this in another post. Anyway, what is a EFS?

Acronym for "External Fundamental System": the closely-packed lines of
arrested growth on the outer surface of a bone indicating that the rapid
phase of growth is over and the dinosaur (or other animal) has reached full
adult size.

Incidentally, various histological researchers are developing sampling
techniques that minimize the requirement for damage to a fossil. Sarah
Werning and Andrew Lee presented on this at the North American
Paleontological Convention this summer, and some German researchers are also
working on coring techniques to help extract a cylinder of bone without
leaving a big slice in the specimen.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Fax: 301-314-9661

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

Mailing Address: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Department of Geology
Building 237, Room 1117
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742 USA

Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.
Controllato da AVG - www.avg.com
Versione: 8.5.427 / Database dei virus: 270.14.109/2567 - Data di rilascio: 12/15/09 19:58:00