RE: Diplodocus: Return to the Swamps????

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Dann Pigdon wrote:
[...]
I have a hard time imagining sauropods submerging themselves in *anything*. Sucking breath through those long necks would have been hard enough at the best of times. Having additional pressure around the lungs wouldn't have improved things.

Out of curiousity I did some casual seaching for long necked giraffes in deep water. Didn't find any, and it seems they can't swim (so they'd probably
stay out of those situations).