Tethyshadros comments misunderstood

I'm a bit taken aback by the reaction (on and off line) to
my comments on the name Tethyshadros. My comments were
clearly misunderstood and were not a criticism of the name
nor an argument to change it. A list member had stated
that the name Tethyshadros was supposedly not correctly
formed according to Greek grammar rules. I wanted to point
out the Greek and Latin had alternative ways to form words
that have also been used in creating zoological names,
including names for dinosaurs and ancient reptiles. Based
on the etymology, the name Tethyshadros also would NOT be
pronounced as teeth-i-SHAD-ros, with a typical "sh" sound
in English. The etymology as well as the spelling should
be a guide in pronouncing names. This detail seemed worth
mentioning in light of the recent Clash of the Dinosaurs
cable series. The narrator repeatedly mispronounced the
name Parasaurolophus as pair-a-sor-OFF-o-luss, ignoring
the etymology and the spelling. The paleontologists got it
right was either pair-a-sor-OLL-o-fuss or pair-a-sor-o-
LOAF-us.

Ben Creisler
bh480@scn.org