RE: Matt Wedel on the perils of doing documentaries

I'm curious:

  I'm sure Tom Holtz and (I think) Dave Krentz have commented on the aspect of
the documentarian's perspective on the matter.  It is quite important to
understand that there are not actually two sides to this coin, and Matt seems
to be expressing just one to its fullest (for the purpose of debate?).

  1. The paleontologist is requested to comment and appear to make statements
in a field he is generally considered important in, so as to support two
things: what the documentarian wants to say (more below) and to provide
material for what the documentarian CAN say.

  2. The documentarian has already produced a prospectus on the program, and
this can take many years of plotting/planning before the program sees any
television/DVD in which not just the talking heads are combined, but the
digital material is composed (again, see below).  The documentarian has also
pre-plotted the program before most of the talking heads are interviewed and
filmed, and in many cases the filming of the talking heads is one of the final
pieces of the documentary to be produced before the editing process and final
voice-over confirmed.  This constrains whatever any talking head may want to
insert into the program.  In some cases (I understand Bakker and Horner have
been neck-deep in some documentaries start to finish, especially if it's about
their work) the paleontologist CAN help modify the progress of the film, but
for the most part, this is moot.

  3. Production costs of the film are difficult to expand when you are given an
initial budget, and you do your digital programming (licensed, not in-house)
well prior to the documentary, based on whatever data you've previously made.
In some cases, bits can be cut when it is flatly untrue (flying allosaurs?),
but then you are hedging into the area of "paleontologists disagreeing" and, as
many people understand, the public and scientific understanding of "Science" is
not always the same.  Because the CG work is done prior to the talking heads,
there is little that can be done to fine tune details, and it would be helpful
for whomever is on the ground floor of the project to devote the time it takes
to direct this (with whatever clout he/she has); but this is not always, or
virtually ever, the case.  Finally, of course, one should know that because the
subject has been dead for over 65 million years, no dinosaur documentary can be
anything like _The Blue Planet_, as the subjects in the latter are being filmed
and thus do not need to have debating talking heads to explain what they
_could_ do.

  In conclusion, the paleontologist is not making the film, and is thus not
responsible for its content.  I can sympathize with the talking head who feels
they are being used to represent something they disagree with (Matt talks about
cut and paste shrunk baby brachiosaurs, unburied eggs, etc.) but I suggest that
if you want to make it right, make it yourself.  So far, no paleontologist that
_I_ know of has started their own production of a documentary, paid for the CG,
interviewed the talking heads, etc.  If one of you does this, perhaps you can
make the ideal film.  The next step is of course not making it dry, but
engaging for the average, non-science-literate viewer; my understanding is that
this would be just as much of a challenge as not taking the talking-heads
representation personally.

Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden

disinclination to do so." --- Douglas Adams (Last Chance to See)

Backs)

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/