Re: Taking control of the documentary situation, an immodest proposal

 So are you suggesting a "Scientific Honesty in Television"
 organization?  Given the state of science education in the US and the
 public's general misunderstandings of scientific material, doesn't
 the NCSE do this already?  Perhaps they are the venue with which we
 could work through?

The _National_ Center for Science Education should not be involved, because the problem of bad documentaries with quote-mined talking heads isn't "national". It's worldwide.

However, I like the idea of organizing, of forming a Talking Heads Union. If it is to be a subset of an existing organization, instead of the NCSE may I propose the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology? It already does similar things as far as I know.