Re: Dino docs -- try simple

e budget is partly to blame, but partly a cop-out. Every budget has its look, but not every look has its budget. And low-budget looks don't have to be cheap. Productions can be designed, from the puppets mentioned earlier to stylized looks that 1) look better and 2) avoid misrepresenting the content. Via abstraction. The science of computer graphics has yielded more than enough theoretical and practical knowledge. It just has to be done.

Here's a prototype (no strokes yet): http://www.drip.de/?p=315
I'm working on a 3D visualization system that - instead of rendering 3D - allows you to draw on it.

The most costly aspect of 3D productions is the last 10%. This finishing phase can cost up to 90% of the budget. With npr, this percentage is designable. Meaning - budgets can be designed. eventually, artist/scientists such as Mark Witton can just draw on a mesh and have their drawing render out as a turntable panorama.

David M. mentioned that the scientists don't have the money. There are many funds out there going into short film and games creation, regional marketing and what not. The argument can be made that such visual complements enhance the value of scientific work already being financed by a considerable margin (press echo = recognition) and many artists would be happy to work in this direction. Start small - short clips. Work up to fuller formats.

But this is all from the artist POV...
The question is, what does the scientist win from such a cooperation?

quailspg@frii.com schrieb:
In another thread, David Krentz wrote:

What we would do in a feature movie is done by
TV crews with 1/100th of the money and less than
half the time.

And...

I have passed on Matt's blog to the big wigs and
they are reading it.  I'm even sending some of the
constructive comments from this list.

I find it distracting (and kinda pathetic) when I see cg animation
repeated again and again in a show. I stop thinking about the content and
start thinking, "And *that's* when the money ran out!"

What if, instead of throwing so much of the budget into half-baked or
repetitive fully animated scenes, some of the concepts were illustrated
with animated -- but simple -- bare-bones line drawings?

They might be used to illustrate the more controversial ideas, or to
clarify some of the material the Talking Heads are explaining.

The simpler animation would grab attention because it would be visually
novel. (Novel in the program AND in the 21st century.)

-- Donna Braginetz