Re: Taking control of the documentary situation, an immodest proposal

More rescuing from truncation... just a few comments beforehand, because I'm using up my daily quota this way.

1) Some e-mail programs have two settings, e. g. Outlook Express has "HTML (Rich Text)" and "Plain text". Others have four, e. g. Thunderbird has "Determine automatically", "Plain text only", "HTML only", and "Plain text and HTML". In the latter case, do not choose "Determine automatically", determine "Plain text only", or it will be truncated.

2) If you can change the font, font size, font color, anything of what you write, you haven't chosen "plain text only". Plain text _does not have_ any of those attributes, it's a Platonic ideal, it's the Thing In Itself. In Outlook Express and Thunderbird at least, when you set your writings to plain text, the entire toolbar for text formatting disappears; if it's there, you haven't chosen "plain text".

 I agree [with GSP's proposal] - and I'm not a scientist, but an
 animator. as I mentioned at svpow, these might be some valid ways to
 concretely design leverage within such an effort:

 1) Inform yourself. Note the companies that work in dodgy ways. And
 more importantly, note the companies that work conscientiously (I can
 recommend mdtv). Refuse to work with the former, do work with the
 latter.

 2) Demand conditional release contracts. A publisher must have your
 written consent before using interview material. These are always
 written up and signed in advance of the interview. If the company you
 are working with isn't on one of the lists above, demand a clause
 that gives you release rights -- ie. at least one edit review
 session. After which you can refuse specific segments if you feel
 they misrepresent you. Be prepared and willing to be turned down.

 4) Make your own films.This is not as crazy as it sounds. If papers
 supply there own visuals in the form of illustrations and animations
 - as did the one on /Quetzalcoatlus  -/ the media will incorporate
 those and the public will be innundated. There are artistic ample
 resources out there - artists such as those at ArtEvolved and
 animators such as myself. Financial structures can be developed....
 and there is an expenditure in educating that artist to the point
 where the artwork is meaningful. But the expenditure is in your
 hands.

 David Maas