Re: Taking control of the documentary situation, an immodest proposal

Speaking as a journalist, one consistent tendency across all media is editing
out the qualifiers. The idea is to make the story sound more definitive, but it
also strips away the vital essence of science -- proposing explanations and
testing them by collecting and examining data. The Nova documentary on
Microraptor "The Four Winged Dinosaur" got it right: take an intriguing
discovery, examine the possibilities, test them, and come to some tentative
conclusions, admitting that uncertainties remain. If the producer does it
right, the show becomes a detective story.

Likewise, when documentaries show reconstructions of dinosaurs as living
animals interacting with the local ecology and other dinosaurs, it would be
good to say what's known, what's likely, and what's speculative. In a sense,
you can bring viewers back for more when you hint that you'll reveal something
more "in the next thrilling episode."

--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com or jhecht@nasw.org