From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@umd.edu>
To: wdm1949@hotmail.com
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu, vertpaleo@usc.edu
Subject: Re: FW: Taking control of the documentary situation,      an immodest
proposal
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:24:41 -0500 (EST)

dale mcinnes wrote:

> I like Paul's proposal. But producers can easily sidestep this. Perhaps
> there is another
> way? Something that would really be a lot of fun. Sticking a knife to
> every producer that
> misrepresents the science of palaeontology. They do it for cars. They do
> it for movies. Get together the real academics for a scathing critique on
> every new dinodoc that goes awry. BE TERRIFYING. BE BRUTAL. You may have
> to piggyback a film critique show. Let
> them know you 're available when a dinodoc surfaces. It adds to their
> show. RIP THE DOCUMENTARY APART ...... if you have to.
>
> The real problem of course. We don't fully control our field. We don't
> have our own palaeodoc industry. We are not a franchise. We work for
> outsiders ..... Universities,
> gov't ...........

I can say from extremely recent (like, 5 minute ago) experience that there
are production teams who are paying very close attention to this on-going
discussion on the DML and Vertpaleo lists and are concerned!

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA

Hotel
Save on hotels.  Click here to find and compare hotel deals.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/c?cp=1fqBquNg0wcE-WhmEWaGZQAAJz20rA-rue7ZDWIRF7zs8XuYAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATRAAAAAA=