Re: Tethyshadros name issues

Lee Hall <paleeoguy@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're really going to bark up this
> tree?  The name is in print.  It's
> done.  You're beating a dead horse.

I guess by "dead horse" you're NOT referring to the _Hyracotherium_ vs
_Eohippus_ naming issue.  ;-)

Actually, I enjoy these "story behind the name" posts.  It's often interesting
to know what thought processes (or in some cases, the lack thereof) that go
into coining a name.  For example, it never occurred to me that _Archelon was
derived from arkhos "ruler" + khelonos "sea turtle".

I would add that, in general, authors probably shouldn't rely on reviewers or
editors to correct the prospective name of a new taxon.  I don't have
_Tethyshadros_ in mind (which seems correctly formed) - I'm thinking of awful
monikers such as _Gigantspinosaurus_, _Aberratiodontus_, and _Confuciusornis_.
As Tom said, firing off a quick email to Ben Creisler can save you from a world
of pain further down the line.

Cheers

Tim