RE: Unorthodoxies in Reptilian Phylogeny [Romer 1971]

The paper was about two hypotheses Romer did not believe but felt should be
considered since they were proposed by people whose opinions he respected.

One was that archosaurs were derived from varanopsid synapsids, which Reig
proposed because he thought Varanodon had an antorbital fenestra.  Reig
proposed other characters as well, but Romer showed all of them were
plesiomorphies.  As for the antorbital fenestra in Varanodon, from what I can
tell it seems to be a fenestra above the maxilla dorsal process and behind the
septomaxilla, while the archosaurian equivalent is of course posteroventral to
the maxilla dorsal process.  So non-homologous anyway.  Ironically, the two
taxa listed as linking the captorhinomorphs and archosaurs by Romer
(Mesenosaurus and Elliotsmithia) are now recognized as varanopid synapsids.  So
his ideas were no better, merely deriving archosaurs from generalized
"captorhinomorphs" like all other reptiles.  Molecular analyses disprove an
archosaur-synapsid clade regardless.

The other hypothesis is Kuhn-Schnyder's that sauropterygians and at least six
other reptile clades developed independently from amphibian-grade taxa.  This
was based on the retained tabulars and postparietals of nothosaurs, which Romer
noted are present in many basal reptiles.  Also Kuhn-Schnyder thought
Simosaurus had an otic notch, but this was merely a non-homologous feature on
the posterior surface of the skull, not a real otic notch on the dorsolateral
surface.  He apparently had no good evidence for the other clades being derived
separately and Romer noted the high degree of homoplasy that would entail.  He
also thought placodonts and sauropterygians were distantly related because the
former have a broad bone ventral to their temporal fenestra but the latter have
a narrow bone.  This suggested to him that placodonts evolved from ancestors
with one pair of temporal fenestrae while sauropterygians derived from diapsid
ancestors.  Romer saw no particular similarity to lepidosaur or archosaur
diapsids and kept the two together as euryapsids.  Of course we now know both
came from diapsids, making Kuhn-Snyder partially correct.  Romer derived
euryapsids from protorosaurs, in which he also included the basal diapsid
Araeoscelis and the archosauromorph Trilophosaurus.  It seems he was incorrect.

Mickey Mortimer

i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me
http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Home/?source=EML_WLHM_GreaterGood