Re: Venom in Sinornithosaurus

> It is especially suspicious that only the longest, sharpest, and
> most "fang-like" teeth have grooves.

 Of course, long knives have grooves, but they aren't for venom
 delivery (or the other misconception, that they work the other way
 around, to let blood come out while the knife is still in). This may
 simply be a weight saving feature, as with human designed knives
 (although often the grooves aren't to impart I-beam like
 strength/weight ratios, but rather they do it just for aesthetic
 appeal) The entire skull does look rather lightly built. The longest
 teeth would need the most strength to keep from breaking, so a groove
 on the longest teeth makes sense if you only wanted to reduce weight.

And indeed, the longest, sharpest, and most fang-like teeth are the ones that have grooves in baboons.

 I agree, if the platypus/monotremes had gone extinct, we'd have no
 examples of venomous mammals (as far as I know)

There are several soricids, and *Solenodon*, which have a venomous bite.

 We don't need to prove no Theropods had venom, we only need to show
 the claim that *this particular theropod* had venom is not adequately
 supported.

 That still leaves it open for other dinosaurs to be found with Venom
 delivery systems.

Exactly.