Re: Sinornithosaurus venom

> 5) Plucking specializations
> The authors also suggest that the premaxillary teeth
> functioned in plucking the feathers off of Sinornithosaurus'
> prey, and that the maxillary teeth are exceptionally long in
> order to penetrate the feathers. In neither case do they
> offer examples of other animals that have specialized teeth
> for preying on birds or processing feathers. Indeed, one
> might speculate that the premaxillary teeth of
> Sinornithosaurus functioned to preen the animal's OWN
> feathers, rather than pluck off the feathers of its prey,
> and one would have made an equally strong inference, with
> exactly no support.

And if one must say the grooves are for delivering a liquid substance - perhaps
they delivered a compound that aids in preening (don't modern birds secrete an
oily substance they rub on their feathers, or something like that). Sure, it
could be a novel preening adaptation.
Nothing specific points to venom.
And the venomous teeth being in the middle of the jaw? seems odd to me.
I think there is a good reason snakes have fangs at the tip.
If you want to "poke" prey with your teeth, then your teeth should be where
mammal canines are, or snake fangs.

That this dino's putative poison delivering teeth arent at the tip of its
mouth, suggests to me that their conclusion is invalid.