Re: Venom in Sinornithosaurus

On Thu, Dec 24th, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Erik Boehm <erikboehm07@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree, if the platypus/monotremes had gone extinct, we'd have no
> examples of venomous mammals (as far as I know)

We'd still have the venomous shrews, moles and solenodons.

> And if in a million years there were no snakes, and if a few lizard
> species went extinct, we'd be saying reptiles shouldn't be venomous
> by that logic as well.

More than just 'a few' lizard species would have to have become extinct.
It's been estimated that up to 100 lizard species world-wide might be
venomous to some degree, based on the varanid and iguanian species that
venom glands have been identified in so far.

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs