Re: Ceratosaurus, venom or no?

James Stearns wrote:
> All this talk of venom in sinornithosaurs reminded me of some other
oddities.

> Notably, fang-like dentition and grooved teeth are also known from
Ceratosaurus, the former in all species (the Western Paleo juvie wth
maxillary teeth long enough to overhang the lower jaw comes to mind) and
the latter in C. dentisulcatus, specifically named for the grooves in
its teeth. I may be going out on a limb here, but what of the
possibility that C. dentisulcatus had a venomous bite? It would be a
good way of bringing down sauropods.

I think the evidence for poisonous Ceratosaurus is just about as strong as
the evidence for poisonous Sinornithosaurus...

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc