To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: one *last*  comment on truncated messages
From: "Mickey Rowe;893-2446"  <mrowe@lifesci.ucsb.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:37:55 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu

Neil Taylor (nf.taylor@ntlworld.com) wrote a bunch of stuff about  the
problems of truncated messages starting with:

> 1)  "afarke@gmail.com" broke the Dino-list rules

but neglecting to  add:

4) "nf.taylor@ntlworld.com" then broke DML rules by continuing  a
discussion of dinosaur list management on the  list...

leading Kelly Clowers (kelly.clowers@gmail.com) to wonder about  the
current situation:

} is it merely inertia and "if it ain't broke,  don't fix it"?

Let me put a cap on this discussion by stating two  things...  1) I've
been told by USC administrators MANY times that they  are just about to
change to a software package that was written (or at least  modified)
in the 21st century, and 2) it is "broke", but the set of people  who
care and the set of people who can fix it are  non-overlapping.

There is, of course, the possibility of us migrating off  of USC, but
my personal feeling is that that cure would be worse than  the
disease.  Feel free to voice an opinion if you have one on  that
subject but DO NOT voice it to the list.  Send it to  me.

Thanks!

--
Mickey P. Rowe      (mrowe@lifesci.ucsb.edu)

P.S. Returning to my point number 1, my guess is  that California's
economic situation has made it much less likely now than  last year
that the listprocessor really will be updated soon.  We all  have  my
sympathies.
_________

http://dml.cmnh.org/2009Dec/msg00000.html

http://www.lifesci.ucsb.edu/~mrowe/dinosaur/administrivia.php#no_nos
"In  addition to what you might glean from any private correspondence
directly from  the listâs owners, there are several specific infractions that
may
cause you to  lose some or all dinosaur list privileges. The rules
formalized below have been  and will continue to be shaped by the listâs
evolution.
Their primary intent is  to provide participants with guidelines indicating
what we expect of their  behavior and what they can expect from us. We use
these rules as much as  possible to decide how to treat potential âinfractions
â, mainly because we wish  to be fair and (if you put in an honest effort)
predictable. We welcome feedback  (provided it is not sent directly to the
list) about these rules and their  implementation."