Re: 2007 or 2008?

Fabio,

The year when the paper is actually published (printed) is the valid date
of publication (and thus the recognized nomenclatural act) regardless of
the date printed on the actual paper (ICZN Art. 21.4), so I would cite your
example as _Preondactylus buffarini_ Wild, 1984  (imprint 1983) per ICZN
recommendations 22A.2.2 and 22A.2.3.

BTW... I'm referencing the 4th edition of the ICZN published in 1999.

regards,
Bill

Bill Parker
Vertebrate Paleontologist
Division of Resource Management
Petrified Forest National Park
P.O. Box 2217
1 Park Road
Petrified Forest, AZ 86028
(928) 524-6228 x262

|         |           "Fabio Dalla     |
|         |           Vecchia"         |
|         |           <fabdalla@tin.it>|
|         |           02/02/2009 06:11 |
|         |           PM CET           |

  |       To:       <William_Parker@nps.gov>
                                                 |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: 2007 or 2008?

What does it mean exactly "the year in which the name is published"?

Several journal issues bear the serial date of one year, but actually were
printed the next year. For example, Gortania- Atti Museo Friulano di Storia

Naturale, 5(1983) was published (printed) on October 1st 1984, as you can
unambiguously read in each paper contained in such a volume. This is very
different from the example you report in your message.
So, Preondactylus buffarini, which is named in that issue of Gortania, is
Preondactylus buffarini Wild, 1983 or 1984?
I always wrote Preondactylus buffarini Wild,1984 because I was sure to have

read in the ICZN that the correct date was that of the print; however, it
was a ICZN version of 20 years ago, thus......

Cheers
Fabio