Neovenator monograph

Posted for Steve Brusatte.

------
Dear Colleagues,
I'm happy to report that my monograph of the British Early Cretaceous allosauroid Neovenator (written with Roger Benson and Steve Hutt) has been published. It may be difficult for many people to get ahold of a hard copy, so we have made a pdf that can be downloaded for the next few days from the following site:
https://www.bris.ac.uk/fluff/u/gl1903/3RDZao_0UZFFXcTV92YYiAzT/

The pdf is somewhat low res, and a little muddy in places, but should do the trick. In particular, I think the plates come out quite well considering how large of a file this is.

The citation for the monograph is as follows:
Brusatte, S.L., R.B.J. Benson, and S. Hutt. 2008. The osteology of Neovenator salerii (Dinosauria: Theropoda) from the Wealden Group (Barremian) of the Isle of Wight. Monograph of the Palaeontographical Society 162 (631): 1-166.

The abstract is as follows:
Neovenator salerii (Dinosauria: Theropoda), from the Early Cretaceous (Barremian) Wessex Formation (Wealden Supergroup) of the Isle of Wight, is the most complete large theropod known from Europe. Here we present a complete description of the holotype and referred specimens, which together comprise approximately 70% of the skeleton. Neovenator possesses numerous autapomorphies and clearly belongs to Allosauroidea, a clade of basal tetanuran theropods that includes Allosaurus, Sinraptor, and the Carcharodontosauridae, a subgroup that contains some of the largest known theropods. Several synapomorphies support Neovenator as the most basal member of Carcharodontosauridae. These are primarily features of the postcranial skeleton, indicating that large body size and the highly apomorphic skull of derived carcharodontosaurids evolved after changes to the axial and appendicular skeleton. This placement suggests that basal carcharodontosaurids were more widespread before becoming restricted to Gondwana later in their evolution.

Cheers,
Steve Brusatte

--
Stephen Brusatte, MSc