Re: Huge Freakin' Snake!

Considering this super-snake lived only a few million years after the end
Cretaceous extinction event, I wonder if this was an attempt by ectotherms
to occupy the megapredator roles vacated by dinosaur extinction?

Either that, or they couldn't reach such sizes while dinosaurs and marine reptiles were around -
either because they'd eat such a (presumably) slow snake or out-compete it.

I think constricting snakes just can't help it: they automatically get as large as they can possibly get away with. And that depends on four factors: food availability, climate, tyrannosaurs, and mosasaurs. Two of these factors differed between the Cretaceous and the middle Paleocene...